BR Class 08 - Dover Castle
(13174, D3174, 08108)
This locomotive was built at Derby in 1955. It is an example of a basic design now over 60 years old and ubiquitous on the national network, industrial lines and the standard gauge heritage railways. Its original number was 13174, this subsequently being changed to D3174 and then to the TOPS system 08108. The locomotive spent much if its BR career at Willesden prior to allocations at Cambridge and March. It was withdrawn in 1984 but remained in East Anglia, being sold to Dower Wood Grain Mill near Newmarket.
It was purchased by a consortium in 1991 and moved to the East Kent Light Railway. The BR blue livery still existed beneath a layer of oily grain and the locomotive was restored to that finish. As 08108 it worked the first train on the preserved EKLR but moved to Rolvenden in November 1992 and named Dover Castle shortly afterwards. The locomotive has since reverted to the number 3174 and been repainted in its original black livery. In this livery it has appeared as ‘Devious Diesel' on ‘Thomas' days, but is currently stored part way through a general overahul: possibly its first since the 1970s!
Weight: 48 tons
Engine : English Electric 6-cyl, type 6KT of 400 bhp at 680 rpm
Transmission: Electric. Two English Electric nose-suspended traction motors. Double reduction gear drive
(maximum): 35,000 lb
Max Speed: 15 mph
Wheel arrangement: 0-6-0 diameter: 3ft 2ins
The locomotive is fitted for vacuum brake operation